BEYONCÉ AND THE BIBLE – Dangerously in Love and B’Day
Get a group of friends together! College groups, church groups, women’s group, men’s groups, young ministers, yoga groups, brunch groups- the combinations are many, the experience is unique. Create a unique bond with each other and with groups all over the nation who participate in this interactive experience. Tweet questions and comments to each other at #ShifttoHope as you and others wrestle with the Culture Industry, popular culture, and the intersections with your faith as a thoughtful Christian in the world today.
Join Rev. Yolanda M. Norton—SFTS Assistant Professor of Old Testament, a sought-after speaker, scholar, and published author—as she leads Beyoncé and the Bible.
In four online sessions, Beyoncé and the Bible looks at the life and art of Beyoncé Knowles-Carter to ground conversations about Womanist thought and the Bible. Participants will explore topics of race, class, and gender, with an emphasis on sexuality, embodiment, and agency. These social issues will provide a framework to evaluate various characters and narratives in the Bible—especially women in Scripture.
Rev. Yolanda M. Norton, Ph.D. Candidate
- Published author, ordained minister, Assistant Professor at SFTS
- 6th-Year Doctoral Candidate in Hebrew Bible and Ancient Israel at Vanderbilt University
- MDiv & M.T.S. from Wesleyan Theological Seminary
- Research Interests: Womanist interpretation, narrative and literary criticism, and the Persian period.
FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
This interactive weekly online seminar structures each session using elements from Beyonce Knowles-Carter’s musical journey as the starting point to explore, think, and converse about people in Scripture, especially women.
Session 1 (03/07/18) – Destiny’s Child
Session 2 (03/14/18) – Dangerously in Love and B’Day
Session 3 (03/21/18) – I am…Sasha Fierce and 4
Session 4 (03/28/18) – Beyoncé and Lemonade
We meet Wednesdays. 4:00-5:30pm PST.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COLLABORATIVE ONLINE SEMINAR?
Each participant and participating groups will benefit from the networked experience. This seminar is ideal for engaged group settings like:
- Women’s Ministry Groups
- College Student Groups
- Young Adults Groups
- To establish a cohort of people who are leaders of faith communities that are interested in meaningfully advancing visibility and discussion of social issues in their specific communities.
- To explore the literature, theoretical and practical, concerning challenges of engaging, changing, and challenging a community in ways that build a healthy and inclusive community for all.
- To expose the participants to a unique and successful approach to incisively injecting contemporary culture into frameworks of understanding the Bible, bringing illumination in unexpected and much needed ways.
Online using Zoom
$500* per group
$125 per individual
* Funding is available for NAICS Code 813110 religious organizations. Please email email@example.com with inquiries
Space is limited, so sign up today!